The main job purpose of a Lead Designer needs to design, layout, art direct and take overall design ownership of various publications under Marshall Cavendish Education umbrella of education materials.
Role and responsibilities:
- You will manage, design, and take design ownership of your allocated titles and publications, working closely with the Creative Director and editorial team to visually conceptualize the look and feel of the various titles, including their multiple feature components and cover.
- You will manage, be responsible and accountable as team leader for your Design team. This includes allocating resources, workload, and workflow.
- You will ensure a high level of consistent and creative design output from your team.
- You are expected to have a hands-on approach with design – conceptualizing, executing, and producing high quality publications.
- You will set the template, visual style, and tone of the books. Find illustrators and photographers, research, and work with the editorial team to call in images and oversee all design elements of the publications. You will work with Project Managers to commission illustrators and photographers.
- You will work closely with the editor and team to create new section/feature templates when required.
- You may support the business/marketing team in terms of producing presentation packs and marketing materials as well as show a willingness to help produce any PDFs that may be required by customers/clients.
- You are expected to work closely with the production team. This includes reproduction/print process, checking final artwork proofs and in-position proofs with both the Editor and Production teams.
- You will work closely with the in-house team of illustrators and project coordinators.
- You will build contacts (freelance designers, illustrators, photographers) to secure their services for our publications.
- You should also be prepared to provide design support on any of MCE’s other titles as and when required.
- You will also be responsible for QC work that is produced from said partners.
- The design department is very team driven and as such, you are expected to support other designers in a generous spirit and mutually beneficial way.
- You are expected to lead the designers and provide direction and mentorship.
- Creativity, design, typography, use of colour and imagery/illustration and a good understanding of branding for publication.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work independently and a solution provider.
- Proactive, passion and pride in your work.
- Good network and contacts within the creative community, e.g., illustrators, freelance designers, etc.
- Ability to co-ordinate the design production process – managing design deadlines and deliverables, liaising with project coordinators/managers, illustrators, photographers, editors, and the production team.
- Ability to fit in with the Company culture, management, and employees.
Candidates with more experiences may be considered for Senior Lead Designer position.